In May, the Havelock Police Department released a public safety announcement concerning bear sightings within the city limits of Havelock. Those sightings are continuing, so they’re re-releasing the safety tips and also asking you to view additional information and suggestions at bearwise.org
Bear Safety Tips:
- Never feed or approach a bear. Feeding bears will only draw them closer to your home and they may frequent that location more looking for food.
- Secure garbage and recycling cans. Food odors will attract them to your cans.
- Remove bird feeders when bears are active. Birdseed and other grains have high calorie content making them attractive to bears
- Never leave pet food outside. Store pet food in locked or sealed containers inside your home, not outside or in an open garage area
- Clean and store grills. Cleaning them after each use, to include the drip trays helps reduce food odors that may attract wildlife in general
- Alert neighbors to any bear activity. If you see bears or evidence of, let the neighborhood know about it.
- Do not bait or attempt to shoot any wildlife.
The authority on wildlife, and specifically bears is North Carolina Wildlife. If you need to report a Wildlife violation please contact NC Wildlife at 1-800-662-7137. You can also visit ncwildlife.org for additional information.