Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- Baby elephants suck their trunks for comfort, just as a human baby would suck its thumb.
- Fall leaf colors are actually present year-round. The red, orange, and yellow pigments only show up once chlorophyll . . . the chemical that makes leaves green . . . breaks down in autumn. In other words, those existing colors are just MASKED by the great amounts of “green” chlorophyll.
- “Two-Buck Chuck” once won a top wine award. Trader Joe’s “2002 Charles Shaw Shiraz” beat out 2,300 other wines to win a prestigious double gold medal at the 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition.
- The band at Tiger Woods’ wedding to Elin Nordegren in 2004 was . . . Hootie and the Blowfish.
- The letter “J” is the only letter that has never appeared on the Periodic Table. The letter “Q” was once used as the placeholder name for element 114. After its discovery, it was named flerovium, with the symbol “FL”.