Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- The hashtag symbol is technically called an “octothorpe.” The “octo-” prefix refers to the eight points, but the “thorpe” is a mystery. One theory claims that it comes from the Old English word for “village,” because it looks like a village surrounded by eight fields.
- The folds in chefs’ hats can signify their level of experience. The origins of that date back to when a chef would have 100 pleats in his hat, which would signify the 100 ways he knew how to prepare eggs.
- The world record for the longest wedding veil is nearly 23,000 feet, which is the same length as about 63.5 football fields.
- The only U.S. capital city without a McDonald’s is . . . Montpelier, Vermont. There’s one in the next town over. Montpelier just prioritizes small business over chains.
- Jaguars are named after the Native American word “yaguar,” which means “he who kills with one leap.”