Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- The flag of the Philippines is flipped upside down when at a “state of war.”
- Rene Descartes, one of the most famous philosophers, had a fetish for cross-eyed women. And realizing he had it helped him overcome it . . . which drove his landmark writings on the concept of free will.
- James Smithson, the man who donated the money to the U.S. to start the Smithsonian, was British and had never visited America. And no one knows exactly why he decided to give this country his fortune when he died.
- French’s American mustard was owned by a British company for 90 years . . . until 2017, when McCormick & Company acquired it and brought it back to America, where it was originally invented in 1904.
- East coast and west coast butter are different. West coast butter sticks are shorter and thicker . . . and it all goes back to the butter presses different dairies used in the mid 1900s.