Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- The hottest place on Earth lost the title it had held for 90 years, when it was found that the man making the original measurements likely misread the thermometer. That was in the Mediterranean city of El Azizia in northern Libya. Now, the title belongs to Death Valley, California.
- The Japanese term “ryoutoutsukai” means a person who uses two swords in battle . . . and it also means “bisexual.”
- Cows hate the sound of a cowbell . . . it hurts their sensitive ears.
- Instant replay started at the 1960 Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley, California. Judges asked CBS if they could review the tape of the event to see if a skier had missed a gate on the slalom . . . and that gave CBS the idea to show replays.
- The chocolate river in the movie “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” was made out of actual chocolate. It spoiled during filming and smelled awful by the time the movie wrapped.