Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- Key Limes were considered a weed in Florida until the Great Freeze of 1894 destroyed all the lemon groves. Farmers replanted “Mexican” limes instead, and they became known as Florida Key Limes . . . “a beloved regional crop.”
- The inside of the Leaning Tower of Pisa is completely empty . . . . it’s just a hollow cylinder from bottom to top.
- In the 1920s and ’30s, people used to have cages built to hang out of their apartment windows . . . and they’d put their BABIES in them. They believed it helped keep them healthy and growing.
- In 1929, J.M. Barrie donated the copyright to “Peter Pan” to a children’s hospital in London.
- The word “husband” comes from the Old Norse word “husbondi,” which means “master of the house.” The word “wife” comes from an old Indo-European word “weip,” which means “to wrap,” and might’ve referred to the veil that brides wear.