Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- The Great Depression seemed so dire in the U.S. that in 1931, the West African nation of Cameroon sent New York $3.77 in hunger relief. With inflation, that’s around $67 in today’s money. (Or the cost of a sandwich in New York City. But let’s be honest, little drops of water make a mighty ocean.)
- The name of the easternmost point of all the U.S. territories is Point Udall in the U.S. Virgin Islands. And the name of the westernmost point of all the U.S. territories is . . . Point Udall in Guam.
- One out of nine siblings have the same first initial. Whereas with two random people, they’d have a one in 14 chance of the same first initial. (Of course, these numbers are really juiced by those alliterating Duggars.)
- “Orthorexia” is an eating disorder where people only want to eat organic or “pure” foods.
- Chocolate milk was invented in Jamaica in the 1400s. An Irish botanist visiting Jamaica in the 1700s took the idea back to Europe and started selling it.