Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- The most abused Social Security number ever has been used in fraud by at least 40,000 different people. It belonged to a secretary at a wallet company. (In 1938, Social Security cards were new, and the secretary’s boss wanted people to see how they looked in a wallet. So every one of their wallets came with a sample Social Security card inside . . . with her number on it.)
- Tetanus isn’t caused by the rust on rusty nails . . . the rust is just a perfect breeding ground for the bacteria that causes tetanus.
- Disney World is twice the size of Manhattan. The Disney parks in Florida cover 43 square miles, and Manhattan is 22 square miles. It also means Disney World is roughly the same size as San Francisco.
- The current water speed record is 318 miles-per-hour . . . an Australian guy set that record in his boat in 1978. Since then, everyone who’s tried to break it has DIED. In fact, since 1940, people trying to set or break the record have an 85% fatality rate.
- If you took all the duct tape sold around the world every year, it would go around the equator more than 12 times.