Every morning around 8:15am Brooks gives you one minute of Useless Facts to impress your friends with…
- The U.S. Forest Service created Smokey the Bear in 1944 after their deal ran out with Disney to use Bambi on their forest fire prevention posters.
- Disney originally passed on “The Little Mermaid” because they thought its plot conflicted too much with another movie they were planning . . . the sequel to “Splash” called “Splash Too”. Obviously they changed their mind.
- There are 76 colleges whose sports team nickname is the Eagles. Tigers is the second-most common with 46 schools . . . and Bulldogs is third with 40.
- Iceland has an official list of legal baby names . . . 1,853 female names and 1,712 male names . . . and you need government permission to give a kid a name that’s not on the list. The point of the list is to “preserve the Icelandic language.”
- Maine made it illegal to put tomatoes in clam chowder in 1939.