Coronavirus update: North Carolina – April 13

90 DEATHS REPORTED

North Carolina has at least 4,582 reported cases of the coronavirus as of Monday morning, and 90 people have died, according to state and county health departments.

More than 170 new cases were reported on Sunday.
At least 331 North Carolinians were in the hospital with COVID-19 on Sunday, and more than 62,000 had been tested for the virus, the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services says.

All but eight of the state’s 100 counties have reported at least one case of the coronavirus.

Mecklenburg County has the most, with 954 cases and 12 deaths. The county reported 19 news cases Sunday.

The Triangle has about 1,000 reported cases of the virus between Wake, Durham, Orange and Johnston counties. Four people have died in Johnston County, two have died in Orange County, and one has died in Durham County.

RETAIL RESTRICTIONS BEGIN

Gov. Roy Cooper’s executive order limiting the number of people allowed in retail stores at once will go into effect at 5 p.m. Monday.

The order limits a store’s occupancy to 20 percent of its fire capacity, or five people per 1,000 square feet.

Stores are also required to mark 6 feet of distance in areas shoppers gather, such as checkout lines and the outside areas where people wait to enter. They must also perform “frequent environmental cleaning and routine disinfecting.”

Some retailers, such as Harris Teeter, Trader Joe’s, Walmart and Target have already implemented occupancy limits.

Gov. Roy Cooper orders retail stores that are open to limit the number of shoppers allowed inside stores at one time. The occupancy is now limited to no more than 20 percent of stores’ fire capacity. It takes effect at 5 p.m., Monday, April 13, 2020. 

INMATE DIES AT BUTNER

An inmate at the Federal Correctional Complex at Butner died from coronavirus complications over the weekend, officials said on Sunday.

Charles Richard Rootes, 81, had pre-existing conditions and was put on a ventilator on March 27, the day after he was taken to the hospital after going into respiratory failure.

More than 40 inmates and 22 workers at the medium-security facility have tested positive for the virus, officials say.

NURSING HOME OUTBREAKS

The number of reported coronavirus cases at a Chatham County nursing home has grown to to 57, health officials said Sunday.

All residents and staff at The Laurels at Chatham were tested for the virus after the facility initially reported six cases last week.

In Wake County, the number of reported cases at Wellington Rehabilitation and Healthcare in Knightdale grew from four Thursday to 47 Sunday.

In Cabarrus County, at least 14 people have tested positive for the coronavirus at Five Oaks Rehab in Concord, officials said Sunday.

More than 300 residents and workers at the facility were tested for the virus. Nearly 200 of those tests are pending.

Health officials have identified 28 coronavirus outbreaks at nursing homes and seven at residential care facilities across North Carolina.

N.C. Governor Roy Cooper and state health director Dr. Mandy Cohen are asked about gaps in communicating outbreaks of coronavirus in nursing homes after an outbreak at a Chapel Hill facility. 

GROUP DEMANDS FEWER RESTRICTIONS

A North Carolina group is criticizing the governor’s response to the coronavirus and demanding restrictions be lifted and businesses allowed to reopen.

But state leaders say the measures in place are necessary and working to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The group started a Facebook page on April 7 that now has more than 15,000 members.

The stay-at-home order is in effect until April 29. Cooper says he will consider scientific modeling on the spread of the disease and economic factors when deciding whether to extend it.

Facebook

Twitter